Eating healthy at social gatherings can be a little daunting, but we’re here to help you with it.
It’s that time of year again, full of parties and celebrations. But you’re on a diet! You don’t want to fall off the wagon. What do you do? Don’t stress, I am here to share with you 10 tips for eating healthy at social gatherings and holiday events.
Some of these might work for you, some might not. You could just not stress about it and just have fun, or you can stay slightly on track by following these 10 tips.
Eating healthy at social gatherings tips:
1. Eat a snack before you go. Never show up to a party starving. This will lead you to stuffing your face full of stuff you really shouldn’t eat. Have a simple snack before you go like an apple. This clean eating snack guide can help.
2. Fill half your plate with veggies. Veggies are pretty awesome in that they are usually low in calorie. And as long as they aren’t cooked with tons of oils or fattening dressings or sauces they make it easy eating healthy at social gatherings.
3. Avoid junky foods. Pigs in a Blanket, potato chips, fattening creamy dips, etc. This is an obvious tip, especially for someone who’s trying to lose weight. Use this clean eating food guide to help you know what is clean and what isn’t.
4. Take a tour of the buffet line/food table before starting to fill your plate up. You can “plan ahead” this way. You’ll know what’s there and what you want to put on your plate (what you should put on your plate), so you don’t fill it up with the junky stuff.
5. Focus on the event, not the food. Most events will include friends, family, colleagues, music, etc. Take your focus off of the food, mingle a bit and keep yourself distracted from cravings.
6. Don’t sit or stand near the food. If you do this you’ll find yourself mindlessly munching on those potato chips and dip I told you to avoid in #3.
7. Keep yourself hydrated. Fill yourself up with water. Drink water before you go, and between bites of food or alcoholic drinks. This will help fill you up.
8. Watch your alcohol intake. Or, just skip it altogether. You can still have fun without alcohol!! Trust me! If you do choose to drink, limit yourself and avoid drinks mixed with soda or sugary juices.
9. When it’s time for dessert, have some fruit! Or a fruit-based dessert. Sure it still might be full of sugar, but at least there is some fruit included!
10. Don’t forget to have fun. Regardless of how much you eat or drink – don’t sweat it. It’s a party. You’re allowed to have fun sometimes! You can get right back on the wagon as soon as you leave the party. Never beat yourself up for having a little fun, just don’t make a habit of it.
Hope these tips help make eating healthy at social gatherings easier and fun! If you have any tips, share them below in the comments.