Searching through the app store for a “diet” or some weight loss help might lead you to many options. You have probably stumbled upon 17 Day Diet and wondered, “What is this? A 17 Day Diet? I can do 17 days, that’s easy!” The diet is a healthy and easy way to get the pounds off. It was designed by Dr. Mike Moreno. It’s essentially a carbohydrate cycling diet, which means you are adjusting your intake of carbs depending on which cycle of the diet you are currently on (there are 4 cycles and all are explained below). It’s not a fad diet, but a balanced eating plan that adjusts every 17 days so that your metabolism won’t slow down and you won’t get bored. This diet is great as a jumpstart to living a healthy lifestyle as it teaches you what is good for you and allows only foods that are healthy. It provides visible results in 7 days and weight loss of up to 12 pounds in the first 17 days.
You eat mostly lean proteins, vegetables, low-sugar fruits, probiotics, and “friendly” fats that are heart-healthy and promote fat loss. You add a greater selection of foods as you go through the cycles, including natural carbs. Eventually you will even be able to enjoy alcohol and your favorite foods again, though in moderation. You won’t just be losing weight, you’ll be moving away from refined, processed foods to cleaner foods that are friendly to your digestion system. Read our 17 Day Diet Quick Reference Food Guide for a complete list on what is ok on all cycles.
THE 4 CYCLES:
- Cycle 1, Accelerate: This cycle is the most restrictive so that you see results right away and stay motivated.
- Cycle 2, Activate: The Activate cycle resets your metabolism so that you don’t plateau and keep burning fat. Every other day, you will alternate Accelerate cycle (cycle1) with the Activate cycle (cycle2). Natural starches are added during this cycle giving you more carbs and more variety to your meals.
- Cycle 3, Achieve: The goal of the Achieve cycle is to establish healthy eating habits and steady weight loss while adding even more variety such as breads, pasta, snacks, and even alcohol into your diet. Your weight loss won’t be as rapid, but you can offset this by exercising more and avoiding alcohol and snacks when possible.
- Cycle 4, Arrive: Arrive is basically a maintenance cycle. It’s simple: during the week, you will eat from any of the meal plans on the Accelerate, Activate, or Achieve cycles. On weekends, you will increase your calories and enjoy favorite foods like pizza, hamburgers, or cheesecake. To prevent yourself from gaining weight, you should have no more than 3 favorite foods each weekend.
MOST IMPORTANT RULES TO FOLLOW:
- Eat mostly lean proteins and vegetables; fruits, probiotics and fats are allowed in limited quantities. Certain starches are not allowed until cycle 2. And you are added more starch options as you move into cycle 3. Our 17 Day Diet Complete app can guide you through the whole diet.
- Only 2 servings of fruit a day and no fruit after 2pm.
- Drink 64 ounces of pure water a day. You are also allowed coffee, tea & diet soda. These do not count towards your daily water requirement.
- Eat only foods that are on the allowed foods list for that specific cycle. See full list of foods on our 17 Day Diet Quick Reference Food Guide.
- Exercise: For the first 2 cycles start off with walking for a minimum of 17 minutes a day. You could also double this amount and walk 34 minutes, or split it up and do 2 walks throughout the day- 17 mins each. You could also try jogging, riding a bike, dancing or any exercise you like. Try not to overdo it during these cycles because you are taking in less carbs at this time.
- For the rest of the diet push yourself to go longer and harder in your exercise routines. This is best considering you are taking in more different types of carbs and once on the 4th cycle you are allowed to eat your favorite foods such as pizza or cheesecake, so exercising more is best. It will also be good for you to train for an active and healthy lifestyle.
- There is an optional 1 day fast you can do between cycles if you’d like. You would eat 3 smoothies during the day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The smoothies should include some of these ingredients to promote fat burning: Matcha green tea powder, whey protein powder, probiotics, fiber and low-sugar fruits. Read more about the smoothies in our Transitional Smoothie post.
- Read more do’s & don’ts for the 17 day diet here.
It might sound a bit complicated, but I promise you that you can get used to it. We even created a Meal Plan app for it, to make it easier for people with no time. Basically you have no excuse if you use our meal plan – you just have to shop, cook and eat – and make sure you’re following the other rules (exercise and water intake). You will lose the weight following our meal plan.