Sushi is all the rage for many people out there. I am a vegetarian, so I always order the vegetarian sushi roll or avocado roll and every once in a while a sushi place will have tempura veggie rolls which are pretty tasty! Easy vegetarian sushi rolls can be made simply using only a few ingredients (plus whatever veggies you want). I love the versatility in them where I can add whatever vegetables I have on hand. They can be cooked veggies or raw. You can even add tofu if you wanted or seitan.
I realized how simple it would be to make my own. I tried my hand at it, and I am now hooked. This recipe uses brown rice instead of the traditional Japanese Sushi Rice [See it on Amazon] – but you can try either depending on what you like. I’ve made it 2 weeks in a row its so easy. Definitely a fresh, tasty and healthy dinner idea.You can purchase a Bamboo Sushi Mat & Kit [See it on Amazon] online or at specialty asian food stores. Nori seaweed sheets are more readily available at most major supermarkets. If you can’t find them there, you can get them on Amazon here.
EASY VEGETARIAN SUSHI ROLLS (made with brown rice)
- Cook the rice according to package directions. When done, remove from heat, take off lid.
- Transfer rice to a non-metal bowl (ceramic, glass, wood) and stir in the rice vinegar and tamari. Stir often until it cools.
- While the rice is cooking, slice the veggies into strips, like shown in the picture above.
- Once rice is cooled and veggies are cut, place sushi mat on a clean work surface with slats running crosswise.
- Place 1 sheet of nori, shiny side down, on mat, lining up a long edge of sheet with edge of mat nearest you. Using damp fingers, gently press some of rice (about 3/4 cup) onto nori in 1 layer, leaving a 1 3/4-inch border on side farthest from you.
- Arrange some of the veggies in an even strip horizontally across rice, starting 1 inch from side nearest you.
- Beginning with edge nearest you, lift mat up with your thumbs, holding filling in place with your fingers, and fold mat over filling so that upper and lower edges of rice meet, then squeeze gently but firmly along length of roll, tugging edge of mat farthest from you to tighten. (Nori border will still be flat on mat.) Open mat and roll log forward to seal with nori border. (Moisture from rice will seal roll.)
- Transfer roll, seam side down, to a cutting board.
- Make other rolls in same manner, then cut each log crosswise into 6 pieces with a wet thin-bladed knife.
- Enjoy these easy vegetarian sushi rolls with wasabi paste, soy sauce, and ginger. (if desired)
**** Feel free to add any veggies you desire to your rolls, these are your creation after all. Other ideas include: sweet potato (steamed), mushrooms, tofu, sprouts, zucchini, tomato, bell pepper…. the list goes on and on. What do YOU like to add to your rolls? Let me know in the comments below. ****