10 Common Diet Traps and How to Avoid Them

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest201Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

An alarming 34% of Americans are obese and a little over 32% are overweight – for a combined total of 66%!  And sadly, it’s growing. We tend to ask Why is this happening? and How can we change this?  I wanted to share this helpful infographic of 10 common diet traps and how to avoid them with you. If you find yourself overweight and struggling to get healthy take a look at this guide and see if you find yourself falling for any of these traps.

10 Common Diet Traps to Avoid

1. Your portions are too big. Ever heard the phrase: “Your eyes are bigger than your stomach”. Learn to weigh and measure your portions. Even if you have to buy smaller plates/bowls, do it! You really can trick your mind into eating smaller portions this way. It will become your normal.

2. You’re eating the wrong foods. You must pay attention to the foods you’re eating. Avoid junk food, fast food, processed food, etc. I suggest when grocery shopping that you stick to the outer sections of the store – fruits, veggies, lean proteins, whole grains, legumes/beans and nuts/seeds are all you need. Read our guide to clean eating here.


3. You have lack of motivation. You feel like giving up on yourself. You focus on the long process ahead of yourself and get overwhelmed. This is normal. But look at it as a healthy process and you’re doing this for the long haul. You are changing your life for the best! So don’t give up! Keep going!

4. You don’t exercise enough. I get it. You have a busy life, with tons of responsibilities. But don’t forget about your responsibility to your health!!! We always put our health on the back burner, but without our health, we don’t have a life. So get out there, move your butt, exercise at least 5 days a week (30 minutes each time). Walk, run, bike, swim, yoga – whatever it takes to get you moving, do it! Dance in your living room! Whatever! Just make it your responsibility. Add it to your to-do list.

5. You skip breakfast. Don’t do this. It’s been shown in studies that people are more likely to gain weight and become overweight by skipping breakfast. It’s because we tend to grab more unhealthy things later on in the day when we skip breakfast. Start your day off right and continue eating right throughout the day. See a few quick and healthy breakfast ideas here.

6. You don’t snack when your body asks for a snack. Maintain your energy and blood sugar levels by snacking regularly. And by snacking I mean high protein, high fiber snacks like nuts/seeds, hummus and veggies, or a piece of fruit. Here are some quick and healthy snacks to check out.

7. You’re not eating enough. Yes, this happens. Seems odd, but it can cause your weight loss to halt. It can slow your metabolism and your body might start to burn muscle instead of fat! WOWZA! We don’t want that. So be sure you’re eating enough food, don’t starve yourself. Ever! Be sure to add healthy snacks to your diet daily to make sure you’re eating enough food – make sure they’re nutritious! See above for ideas.

8. You’re not getting enough vitamins. Eat a wide variety of foods, wide variety of colors of foods and you will get the nutrients you need. This will help keep you energized and keep you losing weight.

9. You use food as a reward. Stop this now. Reward yourself with other things like a spa day or a new pair of shoes. Don’t reward yourself food because when we do this we tend to choose something we really shouldn’t have like a candy bar or pint of ice cream. No bueno! I choose a massage over a candy bar any day!

10. You drink too much. Don’t forget that the calories in juices, sodas and alcohol can add up quickly! Just 8 oz of orange juice is 100 calories. Drink water! All day, every day. It’s zero calories, it’ll hydrate you and you’ll feel awesome every day.

10 common diet traps and how to avoid them! #HealthyHappySmart #WeightLoss

Need help getting on track? Every week we release a new Healthy Meal Plan on our app. 4 meals a day: healthy breakfast, healthy lunch ideas, healthy dinner ideas and healthy snacks. No processed foods, no fast foods, just healthy recipes for you to cook up for you (and your family if you have one!). Follow our plan and you’ll be on your way to getting healthy, losing weight and feeling your best.

Share on Facebook0Pin on Pinterest201Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

Leave a Reply