Looking for healthy vegetarian recipes? I am a vegetarian (vegan when I cook at home) and I love cooking with beans! Black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, mung beans, lima beans! It doesn’t matter what kind of bean, I love it! I am also super frugal! I recently learned how to cook dry beans in my crock pot (see below for how to cook the beans in the crock pot and save $$$) and store them in the freezer in 1 1/4 cup containers. My freezer is FULL of beans! But, its great because its so much cheaper than buying canned beans.
“How much cheaper?” you might ask…
One 15 oz can of black beans will be about $1.50 on average. A 16 oz bag of dried beans is about $1.50 also. Cooking the dried beans gives you a larger quantity, right? Right! I usually get about 4 1/2 cups of beans from one 16 oz bag. And once you drain the can its about 1 1/2 cups beans. So, I am getting about 3 cups more beans from buying dried beans and cooking them myself! So, I save about $3.00. It pays to shop smart!!
Not only is the price right, but the health benefits are better – most people know that canned goods are full of sodium. I probably add half or less of the amount of salt to my beans.
So, last night I was thinking I wanted to make a soup with beans. I had some cooked up limas in my freezer and saw some sweet potatoes sitting there on my counter and wondered if they’d be tasty together… and oh yeah they are! It’s amazing what you can come up with just by scrounging your fridge and cupboards. Healthy Vegetarian & Vegan recipe.
Sweet Potato Lima Bean Soup with Kale
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 TBSP olive oil
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 1/2 cup lima beans, cooked or canned (drain well if canned, see below how to cook in crock pot)
5 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
2 TBSP nutritional yeast (click here to get it on amazon.com)
3 cup kale, chopped
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the sweet potato and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the broth, beans, garlic powder, pepper, paprika and nutritional yeast. Add more broth if needed to make more soup. You want the veggies & beans to be covered plus about 3/4″ above. Cook until sweet potato is soft.
- Add the kale, cook for 1 minute. Turn off heat and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
This recipe is just one of the many recipes you’ll find in our 17 Day Diet Complete. This recipe is great for anyone on cycles 2, 3 or 4.
HOW TO COOK DRIED BEANS IN YOUR CROCK POT
- Get a 16 oz bag dried beans. Sort and rinse them, searching for any rocks or other debris.
- Add them to your crock pot.
- Sprinkle on about 1-2 tsp salt & 2 tsp dried onion flakes.
- Fill the crock pot up with water about 1 1/2 inches above the bean level.
- Turn crock pot on high for about 5-7 hours. I usually check at about 5 hours how they’re doing. Sometimes you need to add more water and cook longer, sometimes they’ll be ready to go.
- Once they’re done, I get out my tupperware containers (you could use ziplock bags or any other freezer safe container) and I use a slotted spoon to drain the beans a bit and add them to the containers – about 1 1/2 cups each – making sure to leave a little room in the container for expansion.
- Store in freezer until you’re ready to add them to your meal. These are good added directly to the pot of soup, no need to thaw. OR, you could thaw them and use in burritos, tacos, etc.