Egg muffins are a simple way to get some protein in the morning.
This clean eating recipe will change your life!
You can make these ahead of time for the week, they store well in the fridge in an airtight container and are easy to heat right back up.
These also make healthy snacks for when you’re on the run!
They are also super versatile. You can add whatever you want to them really. Any vegetables or meats are going to be good in them. See below for a few Ideas to spark your egg muffin making inspiration! But first….
How to make clean eating egg muffins:
- Start off with 16 Egg Whites and 6 Eggs. Whisk egg whites and eggs together in a bowl. Add salt and pepper if you’d like.
- Once you’ve chopped/diced the veggies of your choice small, sauté them for 3 minutes (spinach and tomatoes should wait to be added in the last minute).
- Next add vegetables/cheese/meats (SEE IDEAS BELOW) into a muffin tin sprayed with cooking spray (Roughly fill 1/2 of each muffin cup. You might have leftover veggies/meats, save those for another recipe.)
- Evenly spoon egg mix over the vegetables/cheese/meats filling up the muffin cup.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- After 30 minutes remove from oven and let the muffins cool for five minutes before placing them on a cooling rack.
- EAT + ENJOY! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
NOTE: This recipe makes 24 muffins with around 45-100 calories each depending on what you put in them. Meats will add more calories than veggies would.
Muffin concoction ideas (Get creative and make your own up, but please share with us in the comments!) Add the amount of veggies/meats/cheeses listed to the recipe above:
– Broccoli Tomato Egg Muffins: 2.5 cup broccoli, 2.5 cup tomato
– Bacon, Tomato & Cheddar Egg Muffins: 3 cup bacon, 1 1/2 cup tomato, 1/2 cup cheddar
– Spinach Mushroom Egg Muffins: 3 cup spinach, 3 cup mushroom
– Potato Leek Egg Muffins: 3 cup potato, 2 cup leeks
– Ham, Pepper and Onion Egg Muffins: 2 cup ham, 1.5 cup red bell pepper, 1.5 cup yellow onion
– Tomato, Zucchini + Leek Egg Muffins: 1.5 cup tomato, 2 cup zucchini, 1.5 cup leeks
Or, make your own egg muffins by choosing from any of the following ingredients. Try a new combination every time you make them. You’ll need a total of about 5 cups veggies/meats to fill the cups. So adjust recipe accordingly. (remember that spinach wilts to barely nothing when cooked). For example: If you wanted to make Mushroom Sausage Egg Muffins, you could do half and half or 2.5 cup mushrooms and 2.5 cup sausage. Adjust amounts according to your tastes and preferences. Here are filling option ideas:
Bell Pepper, sliced or diced
Mushrooms, sliced or diced
Broccoli florets, chopped
Leeks, sliced and diced
Red potato, diced
Any other vegetable of your choice
Shredded Cheese (swiss, cheddar, jack, pepper jack, provolone, parmesan, etc)
Bacon (fried or baked), diced
Ham (fried or baked), diced
Sausage (fried or baked), crumbled or diced